Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Interview with Owen Baillie


Owen Baillie lives in Melbourne, Australia with his wife and three children. He grew up reading Stephen King, Richard Matheson, and Jean Auel, amongst others. He loves hearing a good story, particularly with a fantastic element and his bookcases are filled with an eclectic mix of authors. His writing is the first priority of the day before he heads off to my full time job!



Why do you write about dark and scary things? 
I love a good scare, and am heavily influenced by Stephen King and Richard Matheson. I the idea of spooky things of which we don’t know too much, is appealing. 




What is your latest project/release and what is it about? 
I currently finishing off book II in my Invasion of the Dead series - Aftermath, book I, was released in November last year to more success than I ever anticipated.


When did you know you wanted to be a writer and how do you go about the writing process? 
I realised I wanted to write a long time ago after reading the Green Mile. For me, writing a story is an ongoing process. It starts with an idea, then more ideas that I have to connect. I then form a rough outline, and start writing. It never ends up the way I expected.


What advice do you have for other writers? 
The only way to do it is spend time crunching out words, good or bad. The more you write, the better you’ll become. It’s like when swimmers talk about needing a certain amount of time in the pool, or runners on the track - writers need time in the chair, and everyday, without fail. 


What’s up next for you? 
Book III in the series, then a sci-fi thriller I’ve outlined, which I’m quite excited about.


What is it like being a writer in Australia?
It’s a minor point of difference being from Australia, as there aren’t too many of us. Placing my story here has helped sell books, I’m sure.


Owen Baillie Bibliography

Aftermath: Invasion of the Dead

Murder Inc.

The Perils of Adultery


No comments:

Post a Comment