Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Interview with Catt Dahman

Catt Dahman Interview

Catt Dahman is an eclectic author of over 20 books cross several genres -- be it horror, sci-fi, and crime.  Her work career is just as diverse as her fiction as she has been a teacher, private investigator, author, and owner of a small press (J. Ellington Ashton Press).  Along with work, she also is interested in scuba diving, gardening, and reading.





Why do you write about dark and scary things?
* My grandparents' home was always considered to be "haunted" so I grew up with spooky experiences that were "the norm". I think life, in general can be scary with the unknown, cruelty of humans, nature, science, and history. I mean, I watched a show about ants and termites and it was very scientific, but it was scary to think tiny creatures have such abilities and interesting lives. I  guess we all define 'scary' as different. I write about what I find normal or interesting, with a twist and it becomes scary; I think it's how I examine my feelings about different topics.


What is your latest project/release and what is it about?
*Right now, I am pretty heavily into a  1970s crime/mystery/thriller series. it's really just like zombies or vampires or apoc-stories...it's a vehicle...but I still explore things. In this series, I have gotten to look at history, women's roles, science, and the beginnings of the FBI. I studied criminal psychology and law so this is my chance to use my education. We've come a long way in the last 30ish years and I am having fun with exploring how criminology has changed.



When did you know you wanted to be a writer and how do you go about the writing process?
* I loved writing scary stuff way back when I was in about 6th grade but didn't have maturity. I really didn't have the life skills and experience until I was over 30. I hand wrote things...westerns...a huge zombie series...but didn't do anything with it, really, until about 2 years ago. Out of no where, I decided to write after seeing the changes Kindle was causing in the writing world. I landed a writing contract for 9 books in  a series within a half a year and have produced about 25 books now. I still have 10 or so I have not typed yet to release.   As far as writing, I get a weird interest or idea, research and find weird and amazing connections to other areas and begin to write. I never plan endings or outline; I just type and tell beginning to end and do very few content edits afterwards.

What advice do you have for other writers?
*Not helpful advice. I say to expect to spend for a good editor, pay for a good cover, learn or pay for formatting, and go first with presses. Listen to presses and what they suggest. Not everyone is a writer, but learning rules of grammar  can help. Read everything. Always be gracious.

What’s up next for you?
* More horror, westerns, historical horror, maybe sci-fi based horror. The best part, like when I write a book....I never know where I will go and what I will find. I like that. Not knowing is kind of fun!



Catt Dahman Bibliography (Partial)









No comments:

Post a Comment