Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Going the Indie Route

Deciding to go the Indie Writers route is one that is full of fear and trepidation.  It's also a lot of work.  Unless you're independently wealthy, you're the whole enchilada when it comes to your writing team.  You're job entails:
  • Writing (of course)
  • Editing
  • Marketing
  • Cover Design
  • Psychiatrist and Motivational Coach

When I first started writing (more like dabbling in writing) over 15 years, I envisioned that I would sending my manuscript off to some agent or a publishing house and after mounds of rejections, someone would take on my book and I would be published.  I fear those days are over.  Yes, outside the few select writers that consistently have books out on the shelves, there are a few authors that break into the traditional publishing world, but I think that is becoming the land of the lottery ticket for the new writer.

The one thing I do like about the indie route is that I can avoid all the rejections.  With Amazon and the other avenues to self-publish, you can get your works to readers.  Of course, it has to be quality writing, had to have a compelling plot and characters, has to have a good cover, and be free of grammatical and spelling errors.  Which brings me back to the list of things that the indie writer has to be (see above).

The bottom line is that you have the need to be a writer if you're going to do this.  You have to have stories you need to tell.  For long time, I wanted to be writer, but now I need to be a writer.  (Or I convince myself I need it.)



No comments:

Post a Comment